On 11 August 2016 at 10:47, Páll Haraldsson <pall.haralds...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 3:07:55 PM UTC, Bill Hart wrote:
>>
>> I got the Windows 10 anniversary update and turned on the new Windows
>> subsystem for Linux.
>>

> [You mean the subsystem and bash is no non-beta/Insder program, good to
> know, and useful for software that isn't already portable to Windows.]
>

>> The Julia binaries from the website load, but unfortunately don't fully
>> work.
>>

> Why would it "be great to get this working"? Or at least [of interest] for
> you? I also did wander if it would work but since there is a Windows Julia
> binary, that we would want to maintain for a long time and not drop support
> of Julia that way, I do not see this as a priority, or on the horizon. Only
> that Julia version is supported back to Windows XP. Theoretically using a
> Linux ELF binary in Windows is interesting, but it could be a long time to
> a Windows 10-exclusive world(?).

The reason this could be interesting for some people is that not all C
libraries have been ported to Windows, and doing so is non-trivial. For
example, we'd like to rely on Singular and Gap and don't currently have the
resources to do a port. However, they work just fine on Ubuntu.

Of course supporting the WSL does not mean abandoning support for native
Windows.

Bill.