@Yichao Yu: Sure. I'm aware that there is a lot of overhead in the inter
process communication. This was just a minimal test case, not something I
expect to run fast(er). (A silly nworker() implementation indeed;-)) I was
just curious if it is possible to reduce the type instability showing up in
parallel programming situations like this (and others). One reason is that
such a type instability seem to "mask" @time results (number of allocations
and memory usage is typically much larger for type unstable code, right?),
making it harder to get a quick idea of the performance/type stability of
parts of the code that really matters...

@Richard Dennis: That's interesting! Do you (or anyone else) have an idea
why? What is updated/changed in 0.5.0-rc4 compared to 0.4.6?