That benchmark doesn't say what they were using for "normal backends" - was it
openblas or atlas or the reference blas, which set of kernels, were they using
multithreading, etc. The open source Julia build will almost certainly have
faster FFT's than SciPy without MKL, since Julia uses FFTW but SciPy uses a
slower non-GPL-licensed implementation. Note that we had a bug on our buildbots
regarding optimization flags in some dependencies so you may want to wait until
0.4.7 binaries or test with 0.5.0-rc4 or newer for comparing FFT performance.

Julia Computing offers custom solutions that aren't necessarily listed on the
products page of our website yet, you can inquire at the contact address there.