The syntax you posted is correct, but it doesn't seem to match the error
you are getting. In the error it complains that there is no ncread method
with first two arrays and then two strings; because ncread needs first two
strings and then two integer arrays as you posted.
Can you reproduce this in a fresh julia session? I tried and couldn't
reproduce. If so it's probably best to submit it as an issue on GitHub
<https://github.com/JuliaGeo/NetCDF.jl/issues/new>, with as much
information as possible.
Regarding the documentation, naturally it can be improved, but there are
examples available here
<https://github.com/JuliaGeo/NetCDF.jl/blob/master/examples/high.jl>. And
by typing ?ncread in the REPL you get documentation on ncread.

-Martijn