I think he's talking about the fact that this specifically is more than
Github: it also requires using pandoc and
Jekyll:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julialang.github.com/tree/master/publications

If the repo somehow ran a build script when checking the PR so that way all
you had to do was edit the .bib and index.md file, that probably would
lower the barrier to entry (and could be done straight from the browser).
That would require a smart setup like what's done for building docs, and
probably overkill for this. It's probably easier on the maintainer side
just to tell people to ask for help. (And it's better to keep it as a .bib
instead of directly editing the Markdown/HTML so that way formatting is
always the same / correct).