I realize I was very vague. I don't have a concrete suggestion, but
github/pull request/jekyll/pandoc plus the fact that I'm not well
acquainted with any of the steps was just too much. If I remember correctly
I got as far as producing an error message in Jekyll and eventually
giving up the whole thing.

Chris: If it could boil down to basically editing a .bib in the browser or
comparable, that would be just amazing.

I'm raising the question, I don't have answers though...