Usually I'm plotting the run from really long differential equations
solution. The one I am mentioning is from a really long stochastic
differential equation solution (publication coming soon). 19 lines with
likely millions of dots, thrown together into one figure or spanning
multiple. I can't really explain "faster" other than, when I ran the plot
command afterwards (on smaller test cases) PyPlot would take forever but GR
would get the plot done much quicker, so for the longer run I went with GR
and it worked. I am not much of a plot guy so my method is, use Plots.jl,
switch backends to find something that works, and if I can't find an easy
solution like this, go ask Tom :). What I am saying is, if you do some
experiments, GR will plot faster than something like Gadfly, PyPlot,
(Plotly gave issues, this was in June so it may no longer be present) etc.,
so my hint is to give the GR backend a try if you're ever in a similar case.