Hi David this is very cool and useful!  I'd be happy to have it in
PlotRecipes if you don't find a better home for it.  If there's a generic
function to produce an adjacency list then we could use my graph recipes.
When I have the time (i.e. soonish when I really want nicer graphs) I plan
on incorporating the new GraphLayout into the recipes.  Let me know.

Tom