Have you tried the latest master?

Pkg.checkout("PyPlot", "master")

Otherwise revert to an older version and try that.  I think from within
Julia you'd have to edit the REQUIRE file (or is there an easier way?).
Probably ~/.julia/v0.5/REQUIRE or ~/.julia/v0.4/REQUIRE, modify the line
with PyPlot. For example:

PyPlot 2.1.0 2.2.0

to get version 2.1.0 installed.  To actually install it run
Pkg.resolve() at the julia prompt.  Other packages may be downgraded
too.  Also, you may run into problems with required version from other
packages.

Alternatively, and less safe, cd into ~/.julia/v0.5/PyPlot and there run
in the shell

$ git checkout v2.2.0

Then check whether PyPlot works again.

I hope this helps.