I haven't used Github Desktop, but if it does not like multiple remotes, I
would drop it, pronto. I say that because early on, I felt I "got" git only
after I figured out how to use multiple remotes. I feel multiple remotes
are fundamental to the design of git, being a "distributed" source control
system.