Using GR (for the image display) should be fast enough:

using TestImages
using GR

img = testimage("cameraman")
intensities = reshape(reshape(float(img.data[:]), 512, 512)

for i in 1:10
    tic(); imshow(intensities, colormap=GR.COLORMAP_GRAY); toc()
end

% julia img.jl

elapsed time: 1.190862896 seconds

elapsed time: 0.007231715 seconds

elapsed time: 0.013265573 seconds

elapsed time: 0.00677057 seconds

elapsed time: 0.012534283 seconds

elapsed time: 0.010761427 seconds

elapsed time: 0.00731559 seconds

elapsed time: 0.009606974 seconds

elapsed time: 0.007050752 seconds

elapsed time: 0.008927604 seconds

The first call is slower because the window has to be set up.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zQycjhhjJ18/WBDE96L9QMI/AAAAAAAAAEM/CREbbuO_3qcy8x9MhqqTGCmvwwUxqGEGACLcB/s1600/img.png>