I'm not sure what's up with that – the group settings look correct (only
manager, owners can start new threads), but Google Groups has confusing
settings, doesn't always do what it's configured to do and is otherwise
generally unreliable, so who knows? These are among the reasons we're
switching away. Please use discourse.julialang.org – thanks!