Sunburned,

  After searching the jump archives, I found this comment from Pedro to Ugo
about the problem:

UGO:
I'm still using "pre-Ugo" mods (:->) release of OpenJump. I stuck with one
the (late) December releases which is very stable. This problem has only
arisen after the project became a full grown mammoth... ;-)
Shapefiles, MrSID layers, Geotiff layers - all contribute to the "mess".

Sounds to me like it would be tough to duplicate.  Who else uses both MrSID
and Geotiff rasters at the same time?

regards,
Larry