Got it!  After 8 tries at loading the project, it hit.

   at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.checkForComodification(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.next(Unknown Source)
   at
com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.model.LayerManager.fireCategoryChanged(
LayerManager.java:335)
   at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.model.LayerManager.addCategory(
LayerManager.java:210)
   at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.model.LayerManager.addCategory(
LayerManager.java:187)
   at
com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.ui.plugin.OpenProjectPlugIn.loadLayers(
OpenProjectPlugIn.java:163)
   at com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.ui.plugin.OpenProjectPlugIn.run(
OpenProjectPlugIn.java:112)
   at
com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.ui.task.TaskMonitorManager$TaskWrapper.run
(TaskMonitorManager.java:149)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Larry