The Open File..., works with the FileLayerLoader, this is by far the
easiest option if you want to open something from a file. It also
supports loading files from within zip files. See
org.openjump.core.ui.io.file.DataSourceFileLayerLoader for an example

registry.createEntry(FileLayerLoader.KEY, loader);

The File->Open... allows you to specify other types of layers to open, such as
WMS connections, WFS connections, database connections etc.

Paul