I may be mistaken, but I believe the plugin classloader of OJ
will load any .jar file it founds inside any ext subdirectory,
not only inside the ext directory itself.
So even if a plugin has a complex directory structure, what is
only needed is that its JARs are under ext somehow.
So:
        ext/pippo/pluto/paperino/pippo.jar

will work as good as:
        ext/pippo.jar

A different story may be for a plugin that needs DLLs or .so modules
or that has a complex configuration system, but in that case it may
have it's own installer...

Something that may be useful for OJ would a simple system (via GUI
and/or configuration files) to specify several different directories
to look plugin for. This way one could put it's plugin JARs wherever
he wants in the filesystem and then tell OJ to load them like they
were inside the ext directory or to stop looking into that directory
to "remove" them.

My 2 (Euro)cents.

Bye
Paolo Rizzi