Hi Landon,

Every suggestion you make in your blogspot makes sense to me.
They are not easy tasks and I'm not particularly optimistic about our
ability to achieve only one of them, but let's say that tomorrow, we get
ten new contributors, ready to spend as much effort as you do on the
project :-)

docking framework : I just know that developpers from jEdit project have
improved their previous docking architecture which now support several
docking framework through plugin implementations (a plugin for MyDoggy
has been developped, others can be added). I give you the link, I'm not
able to comment it
http://jedit.wiki.sourceforge.net/Docking+framework?f=print

Extraction of OpenJUMP RCP code, extraction of OJ's model, improve the
separation of model and view : each proposition seems good to me.
Some important parts of OJ architecture are already clearly identified
through packages (feature package, model package). I think there are
tools around there to evaluate the dependency between packages inside a
project. What about the division of the plugin collection into
com.vividsolutions plugin and org... plugins ?

Migrating existing code to java 5 seems a big task. I agree it would
make the code more readable. Some packages are probably better
candidates (again : feature package with attribute types, feature
collection...), but it may be difficult to migrate only a part of the
project.

Low-ram architecture : I think that creating a reader which doesn't load
every thing in memory is not too difficult (some plugins have already
been done by developpers like A. Zabala from agile/gvsig). What is more
difficult is to read from disk, to manage changes in-memory, and to
commit in-memory changes back to disk (I think saig/kosmo has such a
transactionnal system).

Thanks to Paolo which added precious comments to your post.

my 2 cents

Michaël**