Jukka,

Thank you for your suggestions. I haven't used the Auto Assign
Attribute Tool yet, but I tend to agree with Larry. After my
experiences with the design of the Super Select Tool I think it is
better to have several tools that do one thing well than it is to have
a few tools that try to to a bunch of things bundled together.

I thought about designing a GUI for my Attribute Adder tool that would
allow the user to specify the attribute name, attribute data type, and
attribute default value. But this isn't really the purpose I had in
mind for the tool, since OJ already has a pretty nice schema editor. I
made the plug-in for situations when you have the same set of
attributes that you want to add to a bunch of layers. You don't want
to type the same information on those attributes into a GUI over and
over. That is why I decided to read the data from a file, which makes
reuse easier.

I hope this explanation makes the purpose of my tool more clear, and
distinguishes it from the Auto Assign Attribute Tool. Perhaps it would
be less confusing for the user if I remove the option to add a default
value when adding an attribute, since you can already do this with the
Auto Assign Attribute Tool. This would stick to the design principle
earlier. Do one thing, and do it well...

The Sunburned Surveyor