Well,

as the jump source (just checked 1.2 from vivid solutions website)
states the infamous
 * as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
 * of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
paragraph.. we are free to choose ... but again, this is a one way street.

While I see personally no reason against it..
here are some more pros - http://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.html
essentially the open source is better protected with GPL3, but there
might be companies that feel attacked by the more strict rules and keep
them from commiting.

Here is as I see it. If someone feels threatened by the GPL then
probably only because this someone does mainly want to take advantage of
GPL'd software without committing own resources. A company or person
opposing version 3 of GPL should be asked: Are you planning to use legal
weaknesses of GPL2 to workaround the idea of open and free software?

On the other hand: I also see projects like the linux kernel
deliberately staying with GPL2 ...

.. just some thoughts, ede