Has anyone looked at the GeoTools GML reader, to see if it's a
reasonable thing to include with OJ?

Writing GML readers is not a trivial task - that was why we went with
the template idea (so as to push the complexity back onto the human).
There might be some simpler approaches that could be looked at, though -
such as pre-scanning the GML file to try and deduce the Feature tag,
attribute tags & types, and the geometry tag.   It would be an
interesting project...  I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already
worked on this.  OGR is another possible model to follow - not sure what
they do for parsing GML.  The thing that seems really difficult to do is
to analyze the schema and use that to direct the parsing - that is
basically equivalent to writing a parser generator, which is a
non-trivial task.

Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect
Refractions Research, Inc.