Hi,

Nice idea. You may even be able to define your symbolized layer as a "view".
The query may be a bit more complex as geometries must have absolute
coordinates so that your symbol must be translated with different values
for each feature
By chance, both postgis and SpatiLite have a translate function
(ST_Translate for postgis and ShiftCoords for spatialite

Assuming data geometry are points and symbols are any geometry centered
on the origin, it could be

SELECT d.attribute_1, d.attribute_2, d.attribute_3, ShiftCoords(s.Geometry,
X(d.geometry), Y(d.geometry))
from data d, symbol s  # "d" is a synonyme for data layer, "s" for symbol
layer, see the line above
WHERE d.Symbol_ID=s.ID # ID is connecting the tables

Michaël