Hi, Larry
> Thanks Stefan.   I would appreciate feedback from others on how
> vertical alignment for polygons affects their work, plugins, or
> tutorials.  If necessary, I can change the default so that it acts
> like it did before the mod (for new layers).  Unfortunately, (for
> existing layers) the default setting for vertical alignment was "Above
> the Line" but the Style was "On the Line", so there could be lots of
> unintended consequences for existing layers.   Does anyone have
> suggestions as to how these could be minimized?
This change will not affect my work as I don't use styles too much. But
it's always good to have more choice. That's nice to have a new option.
The only way I can think of to solve the confusion between "Above Line"
and "On the line" is
- to let "Above the line" have its old meaning even for polygons (can
think "Above the line traversing the polygon horizontaly and passing
through its middle")
- adding "Above/Below the polygon" or "Above/Below the feature" which
will act as your new option for polygons and which will act as
Above/Below line for point/linestring

Just an idea to keep backward compatibility. I do not say it should be
done that way, as it adds more menu items without adding really new
capabilities.

Maybe another option could be to create a small beantool to migrate old
"Above line" styles to new "On" style for a selection of layers.

Michaël