Hi Martin,

I'm still thinking about your RMI idea.  In SkyJUMP, there is a
communications module that allows other programs to control it remotely.  It
doesn't use RMI, but it could be ported to OJ and changed to do so.  It
includes two bidirectional channels for command and data.  The protocol is
XML and the module allows arbitrary execution of plugins.  An example is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<command-data>
  <command>SendDatasetPlugIn</command>
  <parameters>
    <properties>
      <mapping>
        <key class="java.lang.String">input-filename</key>
        <value class="java.lang.String">C:\JUMP\tmp\test.jml</value>
      </mapping>
    </properties>
  </parameters>
</command-data>

This example causes the current selection to be written to the designated
file.  Just thought I would keep the ball rolling on this idea.

regards,
Larry