On 04.09.2010 14:08, Michaël Michaud wrote:
> Edgar, have you a precise idea of what a good multipltform distribution
> would look like (file tree structure, file to launch, resources...). If
> you have, or if you could summarize main propositions, it could be a
> good starting point for a vote.

Nothing really precise yet. But let's work on that.
Let us leave asside the bin folder retirement and focus on configurable
cross-platform OJ launching. Essentially I currently have two models in mind:

A) script model

TODO
- new user-friendly script names (oj_win.bat,oj_linux.sh,oj_mac.command)
- adding a mac script which essentially calls the linux shell script (see
attachement, it's tested on OSX 10.4&10.6 should I put it in the svn?)
- rework windows batch to be one file only again (less files for the user to
wonder about)

PRO
- virtually no work but more convenience for inexperienced users
CONTRA
- no generic configuration that works on every plattform

B) unified launcher model

TODO
- create a java launcher that reads a generic ini file with oj and java runtime
configuration (candidate is org.apache.launcher)
- native launchers to be created for windows, mac, linux that start the java
launcher (use winrun4j or launch4j for windows)

PRO
- generic configuration
- convenient launchers with icons, that work without shell
CONTRA
- truck load of work
- functionality is the same as the scripts, just slicker

I suggest to implement A for now and target B on a longer schedule. I will
check org.apache.launcher in the near future, but just re-prioritized my
projects and will do it probably in two weeks earliest.

regards ede
sh `dirname $0`/openjump.sh