I had a need to classify polygon shapes into general categories such as
roads and buildings, and I though it might be possible to use a "thinness"
factor calculated using the area and perimeter.  After fooling around with
it for a while and not getting the answer, I goggled and found the following
solution:

Slide 11
lCircularity ratio: the ratio of the area of the shape to the area of a
circle (the most compact shape) having the same perimeter. (area-perimeter
ratio)

M = ( 4 * Pi * Area of Polygon) / (Perimeter of Polygon)^2

For a circle, the ratio is one; for a square, it is π / 4; for an infinitely
long and narrow shape, it is zero.

I found it at: http://ce.sharif.edu/~alamgir/

Further searches indicate that this method of classification may be
relatively unknown.  Does anyone have knowledge in this area?

regards,

Larry Becker