I just ran into an issue with SkyJUMP and I assume OpenJUMP (since our
shapefile drivers are the same).  When I add features to a shapefile layer
that was created by ESRI and save changes, the SBN and SBX optional spatial
index files are not updated (when present),  This causes problems when
viewing in ESRI-based software which assumes that the spatial indexes are
up to date with their associated shapefiles.

According to Wikipedia, these index files are not supported by any software
except ESRI and are "not strictly necessary."  My testing seems to confirm
that deleting them does no harm.  I suggest that we check for the existence
of shapefiles with.sbn and .sbx extensions (not to be confused with SHX
database index files) and delete them as part of the process of writing or
updating a shapefile.  This should probably go at the end of
com.vividsolutions.jump.io.ShapefileWriter.write.

Comments?

regards,

Larry Becker
ISA