Hi Michaël,

Echoing what I think you are proposing:

1) when Combine Selected Features is invoked, a basic topology validity
check is done on the result.

2) Any errors should be reported in the status bar or the Output Window.

3) If an invalid geometry results from building a MultiPolygon,  a
GeometryCollection is built instead.

+1 if this is the plan.  -1 if the plan is to just build a
GeometryCollection instead.

regards,

Larry