a.
no, ReferencedImagesLayer is the older non-sextante image framework simply
showing and positioning images. no more no less.
yes, everything in org.openjump.core.rasterimage is sextante compatible raster
code.

b.
depends on what you want to do.

generally there is a wish to unify OJ raster support into one API only (Jukka),
so we might decide to retire ReferencedImagesLayer and it's descendants. before
we do that i want to take a closer look at Alberto's changes and check if we
can convince it to load more formats.

what exactly ddo you wanna do and why _don't_ you wanna use the
RasterImageLayer for it?

..ede