ok, had a look into it. unfortunately not done easily , so forget about it ;)

better look up if you can find a proper JMultiLineToolTip implementation. make
sure it is public domain or GPL2 before integrating into core.

btw. i saw you added LayerNameRenderer.getExtension(File f) . unnecessary we
already have such functionality in com.vividsolutions.jump.util.FileUtil ;)

..ede