Hi Michael,
Since working with raster generates a lot of derivated raster maps, the
main problem is about our raster database. I am thinking about Roberto and
the files he uses for his courses.
Anyhow, if I am not wrong, the problem is on writing and not on reading.
Right now I have not fond any problem reading these derivated-wrong-nodata
rasters, generated by open jump, with Qgis, possibly due to gdal framework.
I am not sure about ArcGIS.
In any case, big tiff support in openjump seems to me  important (from my
side I was exploring another possibility to increase raster management in
Openjump via ImageJ) that worth some sacrifices in my raster database, if
you decide to change the code.
Let us wait Roberto's answer
Peppe