Matthias,
Check if netmask on the peer-facing interface covers the peer IP address. I once configured wrong netmask (/32) on Ethernet interface connected to a peer and got exactly the same BGP error message. If that's the case, you should get more BGP-related messages in syslog, saying "interface/group not found" or similar to that matter. Strange thing was that I could ping the peer IP just fine.
When I reconfigured the netmask, BGP session went up immediately.
Rgds
Alex

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthias Gelbhardt" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [j-nsp] BGP session is not coming up


Hi!

I get an error message:

Jul 22 14:53:48.164226 BGP RECV Notification code 2 (Open Message
Error) subcode 5 (authentication failure)

And I think that explains itself. I have reconfigured the box so many
times now, that I am certain, that the problem is not on our side. The
MD5 key is the one, we have agreed upon. On the other side is a
provider, so we are unable to get a hold on the remote side.

Regards,

Matthias

Am 22.07.2009 um 09:32 schrieb Hendrik Kahmann:


Hello Matthias,

the log tells me, that there is a missing md5 key for this  connection. In
your config this part is "inactive". Maybe you should compare the
eBGP-Config on both machines to check if md5 authentication is needed on one
side. Why did you deactivate the authentication key in here? Did you
specifiy your local AS in the config?


Kind regards from Oldenburg,

Hendrik

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Matthias
Gelbhardt
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 22. Juli 2009 08:56
An: juniper-nsp
Betreff: [j-nsp] BGP session is not coming up

Hi!

We have a problem with a BGP session. The session is not coming up,  and I
dont know why. It is a eBGP session:

Log:

Jul 22 08:30:08  muenster /kernel: tcp_auth_ok: Packet from x.x.x.x:
179 missing MD5 digest

tracelog:

Jul 22 08:50:16.426122 bgp_connect_complete: error connecting to  x.x.x.x
(External AS x): Socket is not connected

tcpdump;

08:49:07.632649 Out IP x.x.x.x.60582 > x.x.x.x.179: S
594093001:594093001(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,wscale
0,nop,nop,timestamp[|tcp]>

config:

group external {
    type external;
    neighbor xx {
        description uplink_;
        local-address xx;
        import import_bgp_;
        inactive: authentication-key "$9$u-xxx"; ## SECRET-DATA
        export [ export_prepend export_bgp_external ];
        peer-as xx;
    }
}

Any ideas?

Leaving the MD5 does not work, I even have restartet the routing  process
with no luck.

Matthias

_______________________________________________
juniper-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp


_______________________________________________
juniper-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp

_______________________________________________
juniper-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp

Reply via email to