Sounds like a case for per-unit scheduling/shaping, which is possible on IQ/Iq2
interfaces. However, I'm confused by the comment of one vlan w/both voice and
data. Here that is one unit, which you can shape to less than the physical
rate, but to then provide bandwidth to one app vs another within that ifl I
think you will need a MF classifier and related policer function as well.
HTHs
<<< typical per unit scheduler/shaper, needs Iq pic:
> [edit interfaces]
> ge-1/0/0 {
> vlan-tagging;
> per-unit-scheduler;
> }
>
> Under the class-of-service interface stanza:
>
> [edit class-of-service]
> interfaces {
> ge-1/0/0 {
> unit 50 {
> scheduler-map vlan50;
> shaping-rate 50m;
> }
> unit 60 {
> scheduler-map vlan60;
> shaping-rate 60m;
> }
> }
> }
-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Eric Van Tol
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:38 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [j-nsp] Class of Service Question
Hi all,
I'm having a bit of a time figuring out how to do QoS for a particular type of
setup. I currently have some excellent working configs for channelized IQ
interfaces and full FE/GE interfaces. My problem at this point is trying to
figure out how to do QoS for logical interfaces on a GE port. My problem comes
from the fact that QoS appears to work based upon the bandwidth of the physical
interface, not the logical interface.
For instance, we have a need to provide voice services to customers through a
Gigabit ethernet connection via another provider, using EoC for the last mile.
All customers will be provisioned on a separate VLAN. With plain ethernet
implementations, we've simply used two VLANs - one for voice and one for data.
However, in this case, we are being given only a single VLAN on which both
voice and data will traverse.
My primary question is when configuring schedulers, how do I let the router
know that logical interface A is only a 10M circuit and interface B is a 25M
circuit? When specifying that I need a certain amount of bandwidth available
for traffic type X on a 10m logical unit, doesn't JUNOS see that the interface
bandwidth is 1G and therefore never really implement any queuing because the
full interface bandwidth and queues will likely never really be full? Or does
the 'shaping-rate' in the virtual-channel configuration clue the router in to
the actual rate of the logical unit?
I recall, perhaps mistakenly, that IOS had the 'bandwidth' command in the
interface config that not only worked for IGP calculations, but also clued the
QoS config into knowing that an interface really only had X amount of bandwidth
and not what was reported by the interface itself. Doesn't look like Juniper's
"equivalent" does this, at least from what I can gather from the docs.
Any advice from anyone who's done a similar setup would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
evt
_______________________________________________
juniper-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp
_______________________________________________
juniper-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp