Hi experts,

Could I ask someone to help me to get a piece of simple statistics. I'd like to know ratio of numbers of TCP sessions closed normally and aged out in some way in real-world Internet traffic.

A simple way to know this is to place a filter like the following to catch the packets flowing to the Internet and then look at the counters.

filter count-tcp-flags {
    term SYN {
        from {
            tcp-flags syn;
        }
        then {
            count tcp-syn;
            accept;
        }
    }
    term FIN {
        from {
            tcp-flags fin;
        }
        then {
            count tcp-fin;
            accept;
        }
    }
    term RST {
        from {
            tcp-flags rst;
        }
        then {
            count tcp-rst;
            accept;
        }
    }
    term permit-any {
        then accept;
    }
}

Since each TCP session has one segment flagged SYN in each direction, and one segment flagged FIN is needed to close a session, this seems to be a good approximation. Sure, there cases when SYN doesn't mean a good session and so on, but in high enough values is shouldn't matter a lot.

I tried to test it myself on a couple of enterprise edge routers, forwarding just about 30 Mbps each, and got quite stable value of FIN/SYN ratio — approx 90%. RST number is about 1.5% of SYNs.

I am afraid my environment is not representative enough to say it is “almost always” so :)

If someone could share results of such a test, I would be very pleasant.

--
Kind regards,
Pavel




_______________________________________________
juniper-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp

Reply via email to