Hi Matjaž,

You are correct that the MS-DPC cards are needed for NetFlow v9 functionality.  
I believe that you also need a software license to activate this feature once 
you obtain the MS-DPC.  My understanding is that an MS-PIC (and s/w license) is 
needed for NFv9 on M- and T-series routers.  Others on the list, please correct 
me if I'm wrong, as I am also interested in this topic.  Some documentation 
seems to indicate it can be done with an AS-PIC, but I was informed that an 
MS-PIC was required.

NetFlow v5 is a fixed-record format, while NetFlow v9 is template based -- see 
the diagram at the bottom of http://is.gd/a2mha, and also see 
http://is.gd/a2p30.  Although the flexibility of NFv9 is nice, the overhead 
must be significantly higher than NFv5.  I'm guessing that this is the reason 
that only up to NFv5 is supported on the REs, but I'd like to know what others 
think.

Cheers,
-Chris


On Mar 9, 2010, at 8:38 AM, Matjaž Straus wrote:

> Hi there!
> 
> We are using 9.6R3.8 on our Juniper MX routers and we wish to enable netflow 
> v9 for IPv6 traffic flow sampling. Our local Juniper partner claims that a 
> special Multiservices DPC card is needed for netflow v9. DPCE 4x 10GE R can 
> run tunnels like GRE, IP-in-IP but not netflow services :-(. I can't 
> understand why such a complex card is needed for netflow v9 functionality and 
> I'll be glad to get some feedback from the list about the issue. Are there 
> any plans to port netflow v9 functionality to 10GE DPCs?
> 
> Kind regards,
>       Matjaž
> 
> ---
> Matjaž Straus, Arnes
> http://www.arnes.si
> 
> Tel: +386 1 4798-877
> Fax: +386 1 4798-878
> [email protected]
> MS6745-RIPE
> PGP 490F3B4F 2009-10-21
> Fingerprint = 6172 7BF8 B0B7 1F09 47B3  AFA3 0946 1701 490F 3B4F
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> juniper-nsp mailing list [email protected]
> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp

--
Chris Tracy <[email protected]>
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory





_______________________________________________
juniper-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp

Reply via email to