Hey everyone,

I'm working on replacing some datacenter Cat 6500s with Juniper MX and
the more I read about bridge domains and L2 virtual switches, the more
I'm completely mystified.  Our current deployment is VLAN-based (one
per customer installation).  L3 services are provided on SVIs.

If I create IRB interfaces without creating a bridge domain, is there
any way to extend beyond 4094 VLANs?  What I *want* is to carve off
virtualized L2/L3 aggregation routers with isolated VLAN ID domains
and STP instances.

Looks like a bridge domain can only have a single L3 interface.  Am I
supposed to configure a bridge domain per installation?  If so, is
there a limit to the number of bridge domains?

The Layer 2 Virtual Switch feature appears to require the creation of
a bridge domain, and thus is subject to the same constraints.  Any way
around that?

I could create multiple logical systems: one to handle all L3
services, and a few to behave as L2 aggregation.  Then, hand off
logical tunnels from the first to each of the second.  This doesn't
seem that bad, but I'm worried I'll hit surprising limitations down
the road.

I could keep the Cat 6500s as L2 aggregation and just hand-off normal
L3 interfaces.  This isn't so attractive, since it ties us to the
keeping the existing boxes and just doing less with them.  But it

Am I missing any options?

Ross

-- 
Ross Vandegrift
[email protected]

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
        --Woody Guthrie

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

_______________________________________________
juniper-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/juniper-nsp

Reply via email to