> On Oct 21, 2015, at 10:16 AM, Martin T <m4rtn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> SSH server log tells that "error: PAM: Authentication failure for juniper
> from r1".

> What might cause this?

Assuming the Junos version has not changed on the router, have there been any
changes to the SSH server, or the OS, on backupserver (potentially including
"security patches")?

Assuming OpenSSH, you may want to "man sshd_config" and look into the various
<Method>Authentication settings as well as the UsePAM. I suspect some recent
upgrade may have changed the default value of some of these settings.

I would normally suggest changing the client's config to interoperate with the
server, but since that's not easy to do on a Junos device, you might look at
changing the server config.

--Stacy