While reading this thread I think I understand that updating the trie is
expensive such that there is really no way to quickly promote use of the
default route, so while I still may have use for that default (provider of last
resort) it won't help with convergence.

In several locations there is an ethernet switch between myself and
transit/peers.  So I don't always lose local link on end to end path failure
and if transit networks were in IGP they wouldn't necessarily be withdrawn.
FWIW I am currently doing NHS with transit subnets in iBGP (for ICMP
monitoring).

Alex said: "JUNOS is different from IOS - BGP session will stay up until
holdtime fires but the protocol NH will disappear, the routes will be
recalculated and network will reconverge even if BGP session to gone peer is
still up."

I think I see the same behavior as Alex using "routing-options resolution rib",
correct?   This is something we are already doing iBGP wise already for our
default and aggregate announcements that contain our NHS addrs, unless there is
yet another feature I should be considering?

An enlightening part of this thread is that I didn't realize the difference
between BGP PIC Core vs BGP PIC Edge, the latter is seemingly what I'm most
interested in and is seemingly unobtainable at this time.  Our network is
extremely simplified in that we really have two ABSR so I don't think PIC Core
would accomplish anything?

-Michael