>3. Non-clients which are also RRs in the same cluster (from which you
should reject updates based on the cluster-id attribute).

NO, NO, NO this is the old way of doing redundant RRs
Never do this as it can lead to missing routing updates if a client A is
connected to RR-1 only and Client B connected to RR-2 only ( because of link
outages)
Therefore---- make each RR with a unique cluster-id ( recommended identical
to router-id ) and then you can either make a normal ibgp connection between
both RRs or each one is the client of the other one

Regards

alexander

> A RR can also be a client with hierarchical RR's...

A hierarchy is irrelevant for this discussion. We are talking about
how a RR should differentiate between

1. Its clients

2. Non-clients

--