On Mon, 10 Sep 2018, Ivan Malyarchuk wrote:

Hi. We also find something wrong with "protect core".
Seems like Junos 18.1 and 18.2 (running on MX204 in our case) makes one
#Multipath  equal-cost group with ALL paths except one worst AND one with worst
path - as backup.

I think it must create  #Multipath forwarding-only route with one best (active, with
weight of nexthop 0x1, find in detail output) and one "second best" path as
backup (with weight 0x4000). However I cant find any public PR or Known Issues references
in 18.x release notes nor in prsearch.

Just hit this issue with 17.4R2 on a newly installed RE-S-X6-64G. PIC works fine as long as all routes are equivalent local preference; as soon as one arrives with a lower preference, the #Multipath entry appears with all higher preference routes installed as equivalent active routes and the lower preference as the sole inactive:

        #Multipath Preference: 255
                [...]
                Protocol next hop: [X]
                Indirect next hop: 0x940dc00 1048575 INH Session ID: 0x143
Weight 0x1
                Protocol next hop: [Y]
                Indirect next hop: 0x940da00 1048574 INH Session ID: 0x142
Weight 0x1
                Protocol next hop: [Z]
                Indirect next hop: 0x9411800 1048624 INH Session ID: 0x161
Weight 0x4000
                State: <ForwardingOnly Int Ext>
                Inactive reason: Forwarding use only

In this case, [X] has a greater IGP cost than [Y], and the BGP decision is correct, but [X] is still installed in the forwarding table as an active route.

Anyone have any PRs or existing tickets they'd be willing to share (off-list is fine) for purposes of sending JTAC in the right direction?

-Rob