Colton Conor <colton.co...@gmail.com> writes:

> So does putting an in-line X86 box that supports FQ-Codel before the DSLAM
> solve the problem in your point of view?

Yes that would solve the problem.

> It would have to know for each subscriber what their speed was of
> course to do the proper rate limiting.  If this device did rate
> limiting both on downstream and upstream would there be any reason to
> also have a fq-codel enabled CPE?

Yes, you would have the opposite problem from the CPE-only solution --
limiting upstream traffic only works as long as the flows are being
nice.

If there is a CPE anyway, and you don't care about one direction having
lower quality shaping, it seems more obvious to put the shaping on the
CPE. Maintaining a Linux server with a whole lot of bridge interfaces is
certainly possible. I would be very interested in knowing how that
solution performs.

/Benny