I would agree with Perry's suggestion and going a bit further I would like
to suggest a couple of other improvements to the Jupyter file explorer:
- a type field (.ipynb, .txt, .py, folder, etc)
- a comment field, mostly blank expect for notebooks, then it would be the
nb's metadata 'comment' field, if any.
- the ability to sort the columns.
- an omnibox to filter out anything that does not contain what the user
types in - very convenient to search large directories.

This seems feasible with https://datatables.net/ and would probably make
this 'home' page more user friendly.
(I am working to deploy JupyterHub in a corporate LAN and must pay
attention user experience - accustomed to Windows)

Is there a particular reason why this page does not have the features above
(or similar), except lack of time ?

It seems to me the layout of this page is independent of the rest of the
app. If I wanted (and dared to dive in) where in the code base should I
look and modify?

Would such a change be considered an improvement and susceptible to be
accepted by the community ?
Or would such an effort be considered wasted with the upcoming JupyterLab
project ?

Thx for any comment / guidance