Antonino -
That is a good solution to the problem. My immediate need is to execute
only a single run, but I will also find value in iterating over parameter
values as you describe.

You give a good description of the problem nbrun is intended to solve on

Thanks for sharing.

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 3:26:23 AM UTC+1, Antonino Ingargiola
> Hi Adam,
> to run notebook passing parameters you can use nbrun:
> The parameters are inserted as the second cell (so that the first can have
> default values).
> Antonio
> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 5:37:42 AM UTC-7,
> wrote:
>> I would like to be able to maintain a series of notebooks as reusable
>> templates and to execute these for a set of run-time parameters, keeping
>> the results for each. The point is to be able to avoid forking the code;
>> the effect I am looking for would be equivalent to having multiple copies
>> of the same notebook differing only by a cell containing a handful of
>> variable initialisations. The reusable code is subject to change and
>> extension, and I would still like to be able to explore the state after
>> executing the "reusable" notebook, by adding cells into the notebook which
>> executes it.
>> I currently use the %run magic, passing it a *.ipynb file. This works
>> insomuch as the stdout and stderr and inline plots come through into the
>> calling notebook.
>> The limitation of this is that I loose any headings and notes and have to
>> resort to extensive print "...." to create headings. This makes the output
>> much less presentable to stakeholders.
>> As far as I can tell, nbconvert does not allow me to pass in variables.
>> It could be used to automate the process by writing a file of runtime
>> parameters to a consistent location before nb-converting the "reusable" and
>> saving, but this feels rather inelegant.
>> Anyone got any good ideas??
>> Cheers, Adam

To post to this group, send email to
For more options, visit