Great question! We talked about this and I can provide some of the
reasoning...more than willing to reconsider if needed...

* From the versioning perspective, we are releasing juptyerlab and
jupyter-js-service is lock step.
* From a "who is working on what" it is the same group of folks
working on jupyterlab and jupyter-js-services.
* While jupyter-js-services can be used independently of jupyterlab,
its main usage case is jupyterlab. This is similar to
config-http-proxy, which is a general tool that could be used outside
of jupyterhub (and even outside any jupyter related thing), but
because its main usage case is jupyterhub, it lives in the jupyterhub
org.
* Like jupyter-js-service, all of the other individual parts of
jupyterlab (cells, notebooks, etc.) can also be used outside of
jupyterlab.

However, I don't think this means that all jupyter related javascript
need to live in jupyterlab. Based on the above, the relevant questions
are:

* What other parts of the project is the JS closely related to?
* Who is working on what?

For example, there will likely be jupyterhub plugins for jupyterlab. I
would think those would live in the jupyterhub org. Another would be
any frontend JS code for nbdime...

Does this make sense or are there other aspects we missed?

Cheers,

Brian

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 8:41 AM, MinRK <benjami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This means that really all Jupyter javascript is actually called
> "juptyerlab" now, yes? Any new Jupyter js would go on the jupyterlab org,
> even if it's not to do with jupyterlab (e.g. services)?
>
> -Min
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Steven Silvester <ssilves...@continuum.io>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Yesterday we moved JupyterLab and some associated repositories to their
>> own Github organization (https://github.com/jupyterlab).
>> We also created a `@jupyterlab` organization on npmjs.org.
>> Note that this means that `npm install jupyter-js-services` will become
>> `npm install @jupyterlab/services`.
>> Please bear with us over the next couple of days while we complete the
>> migration.
>>

>> The affected repositories are:
>>
>> Jupyter Repo                                      JupyterLab Repo
>> ------------------
>> -----------------------
>> jupyterlab                                            jupyterlab
>> jupyter-js-services                              services
>> jupyterlab-extension-builder               extension-builder
>> jupyterlab-extension-cookiecutter-js  extension-cookiecutter-js
>> jupyterlab-extension-cookiecutter-ts  extension-cookiecutter-ts
>> jupyterlab_geojson                             jupyterlab_geojson
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Steve Silvester
>>
>> --
>

> --

Brian E. Granger
Associate Professor of Physics and Data Science
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgran...@calpoly.edu and elliso...@gmail.com