Hi Kevin,

until the notebook is known, we cannot tell what type of kernel will be
needed. The notebook-http mode has a notebook in the configuration, so it
knows which type of kernel to start. To achieve what you are thinking of,
you'd need separate pools of prespawned kernels for every kernel spec. It
doesn't come out of the box, and I don't think it should - too wasteful on
the resources. But you could implement your own kernel manager to do it.

cheers,
  Roland