We are pleased to announced the release of nbformat 4.4.0.

On top of the usual doc improvements and bug fixes, this minor release does
a few things especially worthy of note by the wider Jupyter community.

It introduces in cell metadata the metadata.jupyter namespace for jupyter
official metadata fields, and includes the source_hidden and outputs_hidden
fields for front-ends to store whether input or output is hidden when
viewing a notebook. These fields will *not* be used to hide input or
outputs on export using nbconvert.

The nbformat.validate function now has a new optional argument
relax_add_props, which when set to true will allow validating a notebook
that has properties in addition to those required by nbformat. This is
particularly useful for the creation of intermediate representations in
applications such as nbconvert.

You can now assign dict-like values to attributes on nbformat.NotebookNode
objects and they will be converted to be NotebookNode objects. This also
works if you update a NotebookNode object with a dict-like object (or keys
with dict-like values).

Please see the change-log for more information:
http://nbformat.readthedocs.io/en/latest/changelog.html#id1

The conda-forge update is underway (
https://github.com/conda-forge/nbformat-feedstock/pull/8).

We thank the following 7 authors who contributed 44 commits to this release.

* Benjamin Ragan-Kelley
* Brian E. Granger
* Jason Grout
* Kyle Kelley