JupyterLab doesn't have an argument for metadata in the execute request
method either:

https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/blob/dae1113a094761a66484e915a1b3b7e489d91ed2/packages/services/src/kernel/kernel.ts#L256

https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/blob/dae1113a094761a66484e915a1b3b7e489d91ed2/packages/services/src/kernel/messages.ts#L525

Of course, you can construct the message yourself, like that function does:
https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/blob/e161a8d536a7a370bea297f027d30800e6a6811f/packages/services/src/kernel/default.ts#L476

Jason