tmpnb.org powers https://try.jupyter.org, and is a lightweight service for
temporary notebook servers. However, tmpnb gets a lot less light as the
number of users grows, and the scope of what we want to demo grows. Since
tmpnb only allows serving a single repo, we’ve had to build an
enormous kitchen-sink
docker image <https://github.com/jupyter/docker-demo-images> with
everything we want to demo. This is not sustainable, and keeping tmpnb.org
up isn’t really working anymore. With the new Binder <https://mybinder.org>
up and running, there is a better avenue for demoing Jupyter use cases that
doesn’t require trying to build a one-size-fits-all demo.

Our plan is to update the try.jupyter.org page to be a set of links to
Binder repos demoing Jupyter, and shutdown the tmpnb.org service. This will
involve:

   - creating a few binderable repos for demoing Jupyter
   - making try.jupyter.org a landing page pointing to a few selected demo
   repos on Binder
   - shutting down tmpnb.org
   - putting the docker-demo-images repo in the attic, since people who
   want to demo their own work can now create Binders instead of adding to the
   big demo image.

See the GitHub Issue <https://github.com/jupyter/try.jupyter.org/issues/21>
for further planning.

We don’t have a timeframe for this yet, but if you are relying on tmpnb.org
for anything let us know. The odds are that Binder can already serve you
better than tmpnb does right now.

-Min
​