You can see the current issue queue for 1.0 at
https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/milestone/2. We are currently
working on polishing the Beta release series (including documentation) and
will announce the beta series of releases soon, which should be usable in
day-to-day work by general users. While we don't expect a huge amount of
change from a user perspective between the series of beta releases and 1.0,
we will see a continual iteration and refinement of the user experience.
Looking at the issue queue for 1.0, I expect we'll see a number of beta
releases as we work towards refining the user experience and stabilizing
the extension system api for developers for 1.0.

As always, help is welcome - if anyone wants to help, you can particularly
search for the "good first issue" label (
https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22good+first+issue%22),
and there are also lots of places to help with documentation (for example,
we are currently working on making screenshots for the user-level
documentation). You can join the ongoing conversation at
https://gitter.im/jupyterlab/jupyterlab and we can help you get set up to
contribute.

Thanks,

Jason