It can be tricky to get custom.js to load things at the right point. Have a
look at the examples here to wait for promises:
https://github.com/jupyter/notebook/blob/master/notebook/static/custom/custom.js

If you're having some trouble, scatter some console.log('A') calls around
(with different letters) and then look in your browser's Javascript console
to see which bits are getting run.