I wonder if you just didn't try all the permutations here. You mention that
you did try /etc/profile, but possibly you didn't try it again after
configuring shell_cmd?

Quoting from the Bash manpage:

>        When  bash  is  invoked  as  an interactive login shell, or as a
> non-interactive shell with the --login
>        option, it first reads and executes commands from the file
> /etc/profile, if that  file  exists.   After
>        reading  that  file,  it  looks  for ~/.bash_profile,
> ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and
>        reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is
> readable.  The --noprofile option may
>        be used when the shell is started to inhibit this behavior.

Without shell_cmd I wouldn't expect any profile settings to be read,
because Popen just directly launches the singleuser server without an
intervening Bash process.